The James River Course first opened on June 30, 1928 as the combination of two nines from separate golf courses designed by noted golf architect William Flynn. This masterful combination became a fine championship course hosting numerous tournaments including the 1955 and 1975 USGA Men’s Amateur Championships. Harvey Ward became champion in 1955 and Fred Ridley in 1975.
Carved among trees and hills with strategically placed bunkers and challenging greens, the course was renovated in 1992 by Rees Jones and restored in 2003 by Lester George. George converted the fourth hole into a dramatic par three featuring a much smaller putting surface and a creek that flows into a greenside lake. Otherwise, the original character of the course has been kept intact with only subtle strategic improvements.
Golf Digest recognized the course as one of America’s best newly remodeled courses of 2005 and among the best in the state for 2007–2008.
Sign up and access Wanapgolf exclusive content.
Watch the course's hole videos, access the course guides and more exclusive content.Sign up